Helen Renner Kennedy, 89, Ferdinand

Helen Renner Kennedy, 89, died December 31, 2019, at Scenic Hills at the Monastery in Ferdinand, Indiana.

Helen Renner Kennedy

She was born in Huntingburg, Indiana on September 6, 1930, to Arthur and Amelia Renner.

She married her husband Ralph in November of 1955 and moved to Lamar, Indiana.

She is survived by her daughter, Susan Kennedy (Stephanie) of Antioch, California; two sons, Dr. Kevin Kennedy of Lamar and Nathan Kennedy of Eth, N.J.; four grandchildren, Keegan Kennedy, Emily Leuck (Brett) Kiersten Kennedy, Braydon Greeson and numerous nieces and nephews.

Helen received her Bachelor’s Degree from Indiana State University and her Master’s Degree from Indiana University and taught elementary school in Huntingburg and at Clay-Huff Elementary. She was actively involved in Habitat for Humanity, served as a 4-H leader and was active in St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, representing the church at various Lincolnland Association meetings, Conference meetings and events as well at the UCC General Synod. Helen was also very involved in the Lincoln Boyhood Drama Association and The Spencer County Community Foundation. She was an accomplished pianist and organist teaching piano lessons to numerous young people and she also directed the choir at St. Peter’s.

A memorial service will be held at St. Peter’s United Church of Christ in Lamar on Saturday, January 25, 2020, at 1:30 p.m. CT. Memorial donations may be made to the Spencer County Community Foundation, Lincoln Commerce Center, 2792 North US Highway 231, PO Box 3, Rockport, Indiana, 47635 www.spencercountyfoundation.orgor St. Peter’s United Church of Christ, 12338 St. Peter’s Church Road, Lamar, IN 47550.

6 Responses to Helen Renner Kennedy, 89, Ferdinand

1. Marilyn York January 9, 2020 at 2:47 pm #

Please accept my heartfelt sympathy and condolences in you loss. I am keeping you all in my thoughts and prayers. She was such a mindful lady.

2. David & Jayne Pyle January 9, 2020 at 4:06 pm #

Hugs and Prayers to our wonderful veternarian. We love you Dr. Kennedy!!!!

3. Mary Elder January 9, 2020 at 4:30 pm #

Helen once told me when I was a young mother as she reached for my toddler in the throws of a tantrum “when they are little, they step on our toes, when they grow up, they step on our hearts” As a grandmother now i have used that wisdom with my own children. She was put in my path.
    My sympathies go out to you Susan, Kevin and Nathan and all your children.

4. Joann Schroeder January 9, 2020 at 4:37 pm #

So sry to hear this. My heart goes out to Dr Kennedy and family. Sending prayers for you Doc. My God hold you in his arms and give you comfort.

5. Bobbie Hess January 10, 2020 at 8:09 pm #

Susan, Kevin, & Nathan
    My sincere condolences to all of you. Helen was a grand lady and was very proud of you “kids”. Did she request a song to be played as your Dad did—“Harper Valley PTA” ?. Mary and I will do our best to see you on the 25th. God be with you all as you wish her well on her journey.
    Bobbie Hess

6. Lindsey (Shelton) Underwood January 17, 2020 at 1:25 pm #

Mrs. Kennedy was my first grade teacher in 1955. No matter how many years passed, she always remembered me. She helped many children learn to love education. So sorry she is gone, but she will never be forgotten. My sympathy to her family.