Letter: AG not the president’s personal lawyer

Is there no one in the White House who has the courage to tell the president that the attorney general is not his personal lawyer? That the attorney general’s client is the Constitution of the United States?

And while we’re at it, why does the president not have the courage nor the decency to fire someone face to face? He always resorts to his tiny little twitter. Unless it was on his cheesy little reality TV show.

We have a president who is more of a mouse than a man.

So sad!

Scott Newton
Jasper

9 Responses to Letter: AG not the president’s personal lawyer

1. Daryl Hensley November 8, 2018 at 10:38 pm #

That’s what they said when Democrat John F Kennedy appointed his brother Robert Kennedy to be his personal Attorney General.

“The Nation blasted the appointment as “the greatest example of nepotism this land has ever seen,” while Newsweek called it a “travesty of justice.” Irresponsible, said a New York Times editorial: “It is simply not good enough to name a bright young political manager, no matter how bright or how young or how personally loyal, to a major post in government.” The President would shrug off criticism by joking, “I can’t see that it’s wrong to give him a little legal experience before he goes out to practice law.” Robert Kennedy had less than one year of legal experience.

Or perhaps you can remember the Eric Holder Interview on the Tom Joyner radio show in which he says, “I’m still enjoying what I’m doing, there’s still work to be done,” Holder told the Tom Joyner radio program in 2013. “I’m still the President’s wing-man, so I’m there with my boy.”

Yea, the Attorney General should never be any president’s “wingman.”

Daryl Hensley, Jasper IN

• Scott Newton November 9, 2018 at 6:32 pm #

Daryl,

Your analogy to Bobbie Kennedy is apt because I did not articulate precisely what I meant. I’m not speaking of nepotism. I’m speaking about Trump’s appointing an interim AG who enters into office already deeply conflicted. Mr. Whittaker has serious doubts about the every validity of the entire Mueller investigation, and he has stated so on the record.

Mr. Trump has already been caught in a lie. Today he told reporters he had not met and had no knowledge about Mr. Whittaker. Last month on Fox News, Mr. Trump said he knew Mr. Whittaker and thought very highly of him. He is a “great guy.” This is all on tape.

This is where my point about attorney-client relationship comes in. Trump has won in the short run. He was gotten what he has always said he wanted, his own Roy Cohn — someone who will personally protect him from any government inquiry. He is this generation’s version of John Mitchell. Loyalty is to the Constitution, not to the president who appointed him. If Mr. Whittaker plans on becoming the permanent AG, he will have many questions to answer, and not only from Democrats.

Daryl, I have always had the intellectual honesty to concede when you’ve made a cogent point. Do you not have the honesty to admit that this appointment does not pass the smell test?

• Daryl Hensley November 9, 2018 at 9:09 pm #

Scott, the Bobby Kennedy, Eric Holder and Susan Rice appointments didn’t pass the smell test either. It has long been the Democrats who have weaponized the DOJ. Susan Rice meeting Bill Clinton at an airport, while his wife was under investigation, etc. A special counsel should have been appointed to review the Hillary email scandal but Susan Rice wasn’t having any of that.

The problem I had with Jeff Sessions recusal was him not telling the President first and giving him an option to appoint someone else.

Obama Administration and Clinton both weaponized the DOJ and FBI and destroyed their credibility going forward. The false dossier, that Clinton payed for and pressured the DOJ and FBI to pursue at the last moments before the election forced both agencies to abandon normal investigative procedures and further tainted any investigation on collusion and obstruction. The DOJ, FBI and the FISA courts all now know they got used by Clinton. They are all in damage control now.

These institutions are vital to a free democracy and the Democrats were willing to sacrifice their integrity to win an election.

Mueller knows the whole truth and is now pursuing the conspirators of whom none are named Trump. He can get to the Roger Stones and Manaforts and the DOJ will handle the Clinton conspirators. Good men and women at the DOJ and FBI who bought into the false narrative are now sacrificed by the Democrats as easy as Al Franken.

I can never support any Democrat as long as they can still eat their young.

Whitaker is a good first step in cleaning house. Mueller would have been a better choice but he is too much of an insider also. I fear he would have tried to protect the agencies instead of cleaning them.

Daryl Hensley, Jasper In

• Scott Newton November 10, 2018 at 7:51 pm #

Daryl,

Your assertions baffle me. Bobby Kennedy? Yes. Pure nepotism. But did you have an objection against the NAMING of Eric Holder as AG? Did you have an objection to the NAMING of Loretta Lynch (It was not Susan Rice.) as AG? Her conversation with Bill Clinton at LAX may have raised the appearance of impropriety, but she did not come into her position publicly vowing to protect Hillary Clinton the way Mr. Whittaker has said he auditioned for the role of AG by letting it be known that he doubted the very validity of the Mueller investigation, about which he was privy to nothing. There is a qualitative difference, Daryl.

Don’t like Sessions because he didn’t announce he was going to recuse himself from the Mueller investigation, which he was obliged to do under rules of professional responsibility? My question is simply this: Why?

And could you please tell me what Trump meant when he said “Where is my Roy Cohen?” “I need a Roy Cohen.” Do you have the courage to answer this question? Please don’t evade it.

At this point we know that Mr. Mueller has netted 31 witches. We do not know yet if Mr. Trump has been named an unindicted co-conspirator in an, as yet, unsealed indictment. We have a right to know that.That right is now in jeopardy.

What disappoints me most, Daryl, is that that I thought you had a modicum of intellectually honesty. I was wrong. I am more than willing to admit that when the Democrats are wrong, they are wrong, and should be held to account.You’re belief resembles the boot licking position taken by Mike Pence.

When you say that “you can never support any Democrat,” that effectively ends any reasonable civil discussion. If that’s the case, I’ll stake my position and bring this discussion to an end: Ever since Richard Nixon and John Mitchell and Richard Kleindeinst and Jeb McGruder and G.Gordon Liddy, et. al. corrupted the FBI and the CIA in order to cover up the crimes of Richard Nixon, I can never, and never could, vote for a Republican. The sins of the party in 1972-1974 have been visited upon its progency, and can never be forgiven.

Oh my. And this just in: I’ve been a lawyer for 25 years and have never heard of an AG since 1803 denying the holding of Marbury v. Madison. That means that Mr. Whittaker.
          doesn’t believe in judicial review. I don’t know your knowledge as to the extent of the law, but please ask any lawyer friends you have about this. I think you’ll find this is nothing short than stunning.

I pray for my country.

• Daryl Hensley November 10, 2018 at 9:19 pm #

Scott, that is why I supported Trump because both parties are loaded with corruption. Now it has been exposed and everyone knows it. There is no hiding it any longer. The voters are more informed than they have ever been. Divided government is the only thing that can save us.

McCarthy had Roy Cohen, Obama had Eric Holder, Sally Yates and Loretta Lynch and George W Bush had Alberto Gonzales. You would be naive to believe the Attorney General’s are not political wingmen. Even the U.S. Attorney’s have been massed fired and replaced by politcal supporters. The whole system is corrupt. Hillary used Obama’s appointees and fed them false information to hurt a new president and our country period. It might be the most corrupt political stunt every pulled. Win at any cost and if you can’t win, destroy the people who do win and throw the whole country in kaos.

I was not that familiar with Mr. Whitaker. I relied on someone else’s opinion of him. My mistake, he would not make a good choice for Attorney General. I’m positive he will not be selected for nomination. The Republican Senate would not support him.

The Attorney General position should be a 10 year appointment like the FBI director. It needs to be de-politicized. I know that budgets are limited and AG’s along with the President decide on priorities i.e. marijuana enforcement, etc. But those priorities seem to politically motivated more often than not. A broken mess.

Daryl Hensley, Jasper IN

• Scott Newton November 12, 2018 at 10:51 am #

Daryl,

I think we both may be suffering from political stress. I know I am. I was raised a “newsy.” My father was a former mayor of Jasper (the first Republican), and some of my fondest memories are of debating him on the events of the day — beginning about the time the war turned south for LBJ. Of course, one would rather be informed rather than uninformed, but it has reached the point where you can’t turn anywhere today without being confronted by facts, half facts, astute opinions, half _ _ _ opinions, and everything in between.

During the 2016 campaign I was fortunate enough to pack up my dog in Indy and drive down to a small cabin we have at Jasper Lake. No TV. No radio, No internet. Just music of my choice, a good novel, birds singing, and an adult beverage on the deck. Make it a three day weekend, and it resembled something like bliss.

Daryl, I’ve admired your fact checking efforts because facts form the basis for any worthwhile opinion. (And no, I don’t believe in half facts, alternative facts, translucent facts, or whatever bogus name people try to assign them.0

I wish there were a chance to let you know when I was down at the cabin. I’d appreciate a good discussion in a natural background with a good adult beverage or a cup of tea if that’s your cup of tea.

In any case . . . keep it upl

2. Mary November 9, 2018 at 9:00 am #

We now have a President willing to fight for all of us Amerian’s Black,White, Mexiacan ,Asian Or what ever Nationality! But you guys still aren’t happy !;( We are all Americans ,wanting a safe place for Us, our parents ,Grandparents, Great Grandparents, ,our kids. & Grandkids We all wanting the same thing Money to live on & to be able to by things , Good schools , Great colleges and senior & Veterans care, housing for Senior & veteran ,we want less taxes I could go on & on But the most important thing Is we Need to gain some Respect, for each other!Most people Don’t realize we Have a drug crises, gang problem , abuse problem thief problem ,& we have not enough Treatment places to help our kids & I do mean all our kids! !!! So guiet slamming someone that is helping us out!!! & if you think it can’t happen to you, your family, your neighbor Your town ,city , or state think again ! Let’s all work together for Us Americnan’s! Hope you all have a wonderful day!

• Matt November 9, 2018 at 9:52 am #

Mary,

I take exception to the term “now”. Every president in recent history has wanted everyone in the nation to prosper. People just disagree on how to bring about that prosperity. One quality of a good person, businessman, and leader is being able to take criticism, internalize it, and use it to improve. Most midterm elections make presidents better because it forces them to pay attention to another view of the country. If Trump is going to be a great president, he will take criticism, internalize it, and be willing to acknowledge and negotiate with other viewpoints. As for the new attorney general, most people are fine with him if he would just recuse himself from the Russian investigation (because of statements he made). It might have been acceptable during the JFK era, but it is not now.

• Scott Newton November 9, 2018 at 6:40 pm #

Mary,

I agree with everything you say. I simply do not believe Donald Trump is the person capable in any way of realizing your aspirations.

Jeff,

I am spot on with everything you’ve said. My only proviso being you may be too lenient (or too fair) to this administration. That is probably a fault of mine.