Letter: Trump’s actions hurt the military in many ways

President Trump says that he intervened to allow Petty Officer Eddie Gallagher to resign from the service as a Navy Seal because Gallagher was treated unfairly by the “the deep state.”

Mr. Trump is wrong.

Petty Officer Gallagher’s war crimes were reported by his fellow Navy Seals. He was judged by his fellow Navy Seals. It was his fellow Navy Seals who determined that they did not want a war criminal to resign from the Navy with his Trident pin.

Now Trump has changed all that. His ignorance and his arrogance have combined again to establish a terrible precedent. He believes his intervention in this case will endear him politically to the military, when, in fact, the very opposite is true.

Those who understand know that the president has now cast doubt on the integrity of the Uniform Code of Military Justice. He has cast doubt on military discipline, military loyalty, and the military chain of command. He has said that if you’re a war criminal, you can get away with it.

Most ominously, by absolving our war criminals, the president has placed U.S. soldiers in the field at much greater risk should they ever be captured by enemy forces.

But then again, as we all know, Donald Trump has no respect for soldiers who get captured in the field . . .

Scott Newton, Jasper

12 Responses to Letter: Trump’s actions hurt the military in many ways

1. Ima Ruth Green November 28, 2019 at 11:19 am #

“The Sky is Falling, The Sky is Falling” – it’s the familiar doomsday scenario sounding again – and again. When and where have we heard such drivel before – ? Despite Trump’s faults, failures, weaknesses and imperfections as a human being (have YOU ever had any?) and as POTUS (they’ve all had them) – and to which many don’t always agree nor have they ever in history, no matter the president in office – the majority of both the military AND the citizenry recognize and understand that, all things considered and too numerous for mention or debate here, Trump is far and away the better, stronger choice for our nation to have in the White House than ANY of the radical, PC-socialist-dems who ran in 2016 and who are candidates for 2020. Thankfully.

2. Jared November 28, 2019 at 3:44 pm #

War crimes ? Give me a break . Prosecutor misconduct galore, locked up in solitude for months , all they finally got him on was taking a picture with a corpse. A terrorist corpse. He is a hero.

• Scott Newton November 28, 2019 at 8:09 pm #

He was convicted by his fellow Navy Seals, Jared. His peers. Do you have a problem with them?

3. Mike Keller November 29, 2019 at 8:51 am #

I have no problem with him being found guilty by a jury of his peers (in this case Navy SEALS.) Also have no problem with President Trump’s action, particularly since he is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. His decision with regard to restoring Eddie Gallagher to the Senior Chief Petty Officer to allow him to retire at the rank he earned.

I am curious, however, at why Gallagher’s case raises hackles when I don’t recall hearing any disdain for President Obama’s pardoning of Army Private Dwight Loving (convicted by Court Martial and sentenced to death in Texas in 1988 for the murder of two taxi drivers.) Don’t recall hearing any problem with his pardoning of SPC Bradley/Chelsea Manning (convicted by Court Martial and sentenced to 35 years in prison for providing classified documents to Wikileaks.) Nor do I recall you having heartburn over the trade of 5 Taliban detainees in exchange for the release of PVT Bowe Bergdahl. Just to refresh your memory, Bergdahl deserted his post in a combat zone. But I suppose the petty nature of these pardons pales in comparison to that of Eddie Gallagher. I mean, gosh, the actions of the deaths that resulted from the actions of Loving and Bergdahl and the risk to military lives and operations are no where near as heinous as posing with the picture of a war casualty. My heavens!

Take a deep breath, Scott. You’re pole vaulting over mouse excrement.

4. Leroy Helaman November 29, 2019 at 10:24 am #

there was ANOTHER letter sent to you about this action of Pardoning, and I am positive if those Seals who convicted him had been in the same position, they would have done the same thing. But you chose not to print my letter–why?

• Scott Newton November 29, 2019 at 8:03 pm #

I’ve got my own reservations about those other cases, but I’m concerned solely about this case. Do you or do you not believe that the Navy Seals or the Green Berets have the right to pass judgment on their own brethren? Yes or no.

5. Mike Keller November 30, 2019 at 11:23 am #

My answer is in the first sentence of my comment. I have no issue with special operations servicemembers being empaneled on Courts Martial.

6. Eric December 4, 2019 at 3:16 am #

Well Scott, you’re a democrat. It’s no mystery as to why you are so upset about this.

7. Eric December 6, 2019 at 4:28 am #

Barack Obama, our very own 44th president, bombed hundreds of people overseas. And, that included U.S. citizens. Did we Republicans bring up impeachment hearings for that? No, because he was the commander-in-chief. And now, your party is asking for impeachment over a phone call? Sorry, that is ridiculous. Trump had every right to ask for an investigation in Burisma. We hand money over to countries too easily in my humble opinion. It is better than just shooting missiles or dropping bombs on human beings. Right or wrong. The gall of you all.

8. Eric December 6, 2019 at 5:58 am #

Some average citizen has to talk against you. I’m glad it is me.

9. Eric December 6, 2019 at 6:09 am #

By the way, we will be at home clinging to our AR-15’s and our Bibles.

10. Scott Newton December 8, 2019 at 8:18 pm #

Eric,

I have no doubt you’ll be clinging desperately to your guns and your bible. Good luck.

My problem with you is that you simply ignore the issue that I raised in my original post and head off into a conspiratorial world of unsubstantiated theories.

Can you please address the question I raised? As in, would you believe President Dwight Eisenhower, whom I’ve heard had a bit of military experience, would show compassion to a twenty year highly trained Navy Seal who stabbed to death a sedated sixteen year old ISIS recruit, then posed with the head of the corpse and then sent the photograph and a text to a buddy in California stating “This one has a good story behind it. I got to use my hunting knife.”

Explain to me, Eric, why this doesn’t put us on the same level as ISIS and why this isn’t the best recruitment tool ISIS could ever have.