Perspective: Trump scorecard still blank

To enlighten those who are attempting to brag and take political credit of good economic news, I offer the following numbers. What they show about what really happened during the eight years that Barack Obama was president is sometimes different from what Trump politicians claim.

The last day of the Obama Administration fiscal year ended on September 30, 2017. The beginning of the new Trump Administration fiscal year political agenda started October 1, 2017. So the numbers are finalized and we now see the final results of the eight years of the Obama Administration.

The economy gained a net 11.5 million jobs. The unemployment rate dropped to below the historical norm. Average weekly earnings for all workers were up 4.1 percent after inflation. The gain was 3.7 percent for just production and nonsupervisory employees.

After-tax corporate profits also set records, as did stock prices. The S&P 500 index rose 166 percent. The number of people lacking health insurance dropped by 15 million. Premiums rose, but more slowly than before. The federal debt owed to the public rose 128 percent.

Deficits were rising as Obama departed. Home prices rose 20 percent. But the homeownership rate hit the lowest point in half a century.

Illegal immigration declined: The Border Patrol caught 35 percent fewer people trying to get into the U.S. from Mexico.

Wind and solar power increased 369 percent. Coal production declined 38 percent. Carbon emissions from burning fossil fuel dropped 11 percent.

Production of handguns rose 192 percent, to a record level. The murder rate dropped to the lowest on record in 2014, then rose and finished at about the same rate as when Obama took office.

Now we wait and see what the Trump Administration brings to our country.

Dan Barrett
Jasper

6 Responses to Perspective: Trump scorecard still blank

1. Mrs. Ima Ruth Green October 3, 2017 at 1:23 pm #

Poppycock. Assuming this info is even partially accurate, you are giving undue credit to Obama for the first 8 months of Trump’s numbers. Furthermore, there’s been absolutely nothing on this in or by the mainstream media/liberals – you know, the sore losers who are still so distraught, embittered and inconsolable in their inability to move past the election and their candidate Hillary’s upset loss – and were it even remotely accepted in the way you explain it, you can rest assured they would be out there crowing about it, front and center. But not so – nothing on or from any credible level, source, etc.- just the mainstream’s incessant and traitorous attempts to divide, discredit, derail and destroy anything Trump. Just like you/yours.

• Scott Newton October 3, 2017 at 6:52 pm #

Mrs. Green,

I truly feel sorry for you.

2. spud October 3, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

Also we need to include the rise of families on food stamps that was as high as 43 million. The national debt doubled to $19 trillion and the real unemployment rate was at 9.3%.

3. Brett October 3, 2017 at 4:35 pm #

Was a GREAT 8 years under Obama. My net worth quadrupled during the 8 years. Lots of GREAT things happened in Obama’s 8 years as you pointed out. Yeah, I am a big fan of the guy!

4. Finally speaking out October 3, 2017 at 10:00 pm #

So the FACT that several large employers have decided to expand and add jobs in the US instead of departing for better economic conditions out of our great country must be irrelevant to you Dan. You also fail to mention that FACT that the unemployment numbers were “magically” adjusted while Obama was in office, you know, failing to include the people who were long term unemployed and had quit looking for work. These people used to be included in the unemployment numbers. How convenient. As for health insurance, you really shouldn’t go there. Obamacare is a DISASTER! I can personally attest to this. My healthcare premiums were $500.00 per month prior to Obama care. I was allowed to keep my plan for the first year. It was then determined that it no longer met Obamacare requirements and the company ceased doing business in Indiana. So, being a small business owner, I checked around for personal plans and ended up going to “the marketplace” for insurance for my family. I could have gotten a business plan for our business but then my employees would have been forced to join the plan rather than stay on their spouses’ plans which are far superior to anything I could offer them without bankrupting the business. First year premiums were $875.00 per month. The next, they increased to $1,150.00 per month. Then this insurer pulled out of the marketplace. Now we have our third company who charges $800.00 per month for crappy insurance with high deductibles and high out of pocket expenses. We have spent over $11,000.00 out of pocket every year for the last three years in addition to the premiums. HOW THE HECK IS THAT AFFORDABLE!! I have given my employees raises but cannot afford to raise mine or my wife’s wages due to the crushing premium costs. You also mentioned that coal production declined by 38 percent. What a good deal! Do you realize how many hard working employees lost their high paying jobs (much better than factory workers in our area) in and related to coal production? All I can say to that is thank God that Trump is in office and many of those jobs are back. Stop to think about all of the jobs that are related to the mining industry…. Truck drivers, mechanics, vendors to the coal industry, construction materials suppliers, welders, cleaning contractors, etc. I am not against alternative energy forms and hope that we find better, cheaper sources of energy. Solar and wind are definitely not currently cost effective as they must have government subsidies (i.e. taxpayer dollars) to make them feasible. If you don’t believe me, just ask your local REC. They have a solar panel and wind turbine in their area for test purposes. Many solar farms have been going up with most local residents crying “not in my back yard”. This farce of “alternative energy” is as much b.s. as E85 fuel which very few use due to the cost versus benefit aspect. Ethanol used in E85 is only feasible when fuel prices are at crippling costs and even then must be government subsidised. To what do you think the increase in handgun sales can be attributed? Could it possibly be fear of government? Do you think that the decrease in the murder rate has anything to do with increased handgun ownership? I am thankful that we have elected a president who is Pro-American and has proven to be more conservative than most in his own party who claim to be conservative. While I wish president Trump would cool it with his constant tweeting, he has been trying to do what he promised to the American people who got him elected despite the inaction of the Republican wing of the Democrat party.

5. dan barrett October 3, 2017 at 11:41 pm #

Mrs. Green, just because you didn’t see it on FOX News, doesn’t mean its not true. Maybe you should do your own research. The record of Obama is not stellar but it could have been much worse had the nation continued following the “W” republican economic agenda. Did you forget the last three months of “W’s” administration. We were staring into the face of a major economic depression. I am not a sore loser (I voted for Trump, reluctantly) but I don’t believe all of his lies either. Its called thinking for yourself. Have a great day.